Help! I wanted to have some fun with stuff I learned on recent projects, a gold shader and caustics in mental ray, but as I started lighting the scene, the good ol’ Stanford Bunny started to melt! Anyone know how to avoid this? Too high photon intensity?
Made with Realflow, Maya MR, Nuke
Here’s the reason I haven’t been very active here lately. The 3d facade-projection I created with director Jesper Wachtmeister. Additional animation by Fredrik Olsson and sounddesign by Jakob Myrman.
Here’s a tip many of you may know, but it’s something that’s been a huge help for me so if it can help someone out there it’s worth a shot for me to blog about it.
I like to be able to keep multiple instances of maya or any other app, but the default behaviour in Mac OS X prevents that. You can’t just open another app in the applications-folder or by somehow clicking the icon in the dock - it just brings back focus on the single instance of your app that’s currently running. So here’s how to get around this.
First of all. Bring up the terminal, now if you’re not a tech-savvy user don’t get intimidated, this is going to be pretty straight forward. Bring the terminal up by either using spotlight, or by launching it from the utilities-folder (shortcut cmd+shift+u).
The command you want to use is open -n followed by the searchpath to your application.
If you’re not into typing searchpaths in the terminal, you can just type open -n and then drag-drop your app from the applications-folder into the terminal-folder, finder will then complete the command with the searchpath to your folder.
Now just hit enter and voila, multitasking for real!
I found this video the other day and realized I haven’t uploaded it. It was made last year for the European Centre for Disease-prevention and Control together with a buddy of mine - Fredrik Olsson. Fredrik created the illustrations and I animated in AE. Since I’m mostly doing FX-work nowadays it was fun to see this again.
Time again for a little sandbox project. I’ve felt limited by the particle-rendering abilities in the standard maya setup. The idea behind this one was to try out rendering particles with krakatoa. The main layer was rendered with v-ray and the particles with krakatoaMY, then I dabbled around in comp to be able to use the velocity data to matte out the particles, rather than having them just sit there, and then “pop” once they die. How do you render your particles in maya?
Okay, so this is the final take for this little test-shot of mine, I promise to move on to new projects after this. As you may or may not recall, I had some issues in the previous renders where the foam would sit on top of the grid rather than on top of the mesh and in some areas this caused flickering as the foam particles ended up below the mesh at some point.
So for this video I made use of the handy batch graph that Angel Tena has provided at the Realflow-resources page, this allowed me to input my mesh and my foam-sequences, and run through them and have the foam-particles snapped to the closest position of the mesh. It’s also possible to run a simulation-graph while simulating rather than doing it afterwards. Awesome stuff!
Ok, so same thing again, just rendered with the water_clear preset. Kind of don’t think it’s right for this scene but you just gotta love those caustics!
I was quite happy to find out that The Nextlimit-team posted this video on their facebook-page so yay for that!
Alright, so I wanted to try the the supposedly improved meshing in hybrido, in 2012 I’ve had major problems getting anything but a blobby look even with sims up to 20m particles, here I’m happy to say that even with only 3m particles in the domain, the mesh with default settings gives a fairly good representation and balance between density and detail. All of the settings are set to auto except for filter which I enabled with 8 steps for relaxation. Rendered using the water_ocean material in the maxwell preview. The only thing that bugs me is that the distance field is wrong so the foam sometimes ends up under the mesh. In 2012 I’d redo foam after meshing, need to find out how to adjust this in the new hybrido system. Also found the motion-blur factor in the maxwell settings, and set the daylight to a brighter time of day than default. If you’re wondering about the graininess it’s because I’ve lowered the rendertime to 60s per frame.
Here’s the same scene again rendered with the built in maxwell-preview which I think works pretty sweet. There are no materials added to the particles they’re just colored spheres, really nice to have the ability to have a decent render of your scene without spending time exporting/importing and lighting.
So here’s my first scene in RF2013. I set up this simple sandbox scene to give the new hybrido2-solver a spin and to test secondaries-emissions. The orange particles are emittet using a hy-splash-foam-emitter.
I recieved a few questions on the scale, and it is quite a big pool of water and big objects. The domain is 15x15m wide and the crosses are something like 2m at it’s widest.